Condition Evaluation of Existing Structures: Concrete and SteelPurpose and Background
Before a structure is renovated, the designers and contractors typically need to assess the existing conditions. The extent of the required strengthening or repair often depends on the information gained during the evaluation. But what exactly needs to be discovered? Which evaluation techniques should be used? What to do if the design budget is insufficient for an in-depth evaluation? These and similar questions inevitably arise during condition assessments - and they deserve answers.
This webinar provides a primer on the topic of condition evaluation of existing concrete and steel structures. It explains which assessment protocols are available and which destructive and nondestructive evaluation techniques are most effective for various needs and situations. Real-life examples of dealing with the challenges involved illustrate the discussion.
After an overview of the condition evaluation standards and guidelines, the instructor explains which potential problems could be encountered for each material and how to recognize them. He then addresses the basic options for investigation. They include both destructive and nondestructive assessment methods as well as full-scale load testing. The latter can be done following the procedures contained in various standards.
- Become familiar with cost-effective methods of condition evaluation of existing concrete and steel structures
- Explore typical problems of concrete and iron based materials, their symptoms, and techniques for identifying them
- Increase your knowledge of contemporary destructive and nondestructive testing procedures
- Learn about structural properties of archaic concrete, steel and iron materials
- Find out how to "read" concrete cracks
- Discover how full-scale load testing can help determine the load capacities of proprietary and archaic floor and roof systems
- Learn how to estimate compressive strength of early concrete and yield strength of early steel reinforcing bars
- Examine practical methods of analyzing cast-iron columns and other metal structures
Structural and civil engineers, architects, contractors, and building officials seeking to broaden their knowledge of condition evaluation of existing concrete and steel structures will benefit from this webinar.
- General methods of investigating existing conditions
- Evaluation of concrete structures
- Evaluation of iron and steel structures
Note: SEI Pittsburgh is getting a single site license for this webinar. You must come to the hosted location to view the webinar.